Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Making Change at Walmart

Dear Stuart,
Quick Links
Support Angela: Sign the Letter
I was recently fired by Walmart. The company claimed that I had taken too many sick days, even though my absences for my own illness and to care for my ailing grandmother had been approved by my manager. Since then, I was evicted from my home.
Unfortunately, I am not alone. Walmart also just fired another worker and disciplined a third, giving him his final warning. It turns out, we all have one thing in common - we've been speaking out publicly to unite our co-workers across the country for fair wages, full time hours and most of all, respect and dignity at Walmart - America's largest private employer.
While Walmart tells me that I'm being fired for taking time off to care for my sick grandmother, CEO Mike Duke and Chairman Rob Walton still have their jobs despite their role in a reported bribery scandal and an alleged high-level executive cover-up of the incident!
Walmart executives' disregard for the law hurts those of us who are trying to work for a living. We all need to play by the same rules - even the 1% richest Americans.
It's time to put an end to Walmart's double standard. This upcoming Friday is Walmart's shareholder meeting, a day where all of Walmart's leaders come together to elect board members and set the tone for the coming year. We need to stand together to tell these leaders that their profit-at-any-cost business model will no longer be accepted.
Now more than ever, I need you to stand with me:
  1. Sign a letter to the Walmart Board of Directors telling them that their double standard is unacceptable. Your name will also be added to thousands calling for CEO Mike Duke and Chairman Rob Walton to resign, and for my coworkers and me to get our jobs back.
  2. Join one of the many actions and events happening around the country.
  3. Watch your inbox tomorrow for an email with online actions to get our message across at the shareholder meeting.

Best,
Angela Williamson
OUR Walmart Member

No comments:

Post a Comment