| Medicare provides preventive benefits to keep you healthy including a yearly wellness visit, tobacco use cessation counseling, and a range of no-cost screenings for cancer, diabetes, and other chronic diseases. |
What This Means for YouAs of January 1, 2011, many preventive services are covered under Medicare if you get them from a doctor or other health care provider who accepts assignment.
Several preventive services that qualify are listed below:
- Tobacco Use Cessation Counseling: This benefit is now considered a covered preventive service, whether or not you have been diagnosed with an illness caused or complicated by tobacco use. While the counseling is a covered service, the co-insurance and deductible will apply if you have already been diagnosed with a tobacco related illness.
- Screenings: No more Medicare Part B deductible or copayment for these screenings if certain coverage criteria apply:
- Bone mass measurement
- Cervical cancer screening, including Pap smear tests and pelvic exams
- Cholesterol and other cardiovascular screenings
- Colorectal cancer screening (except for barium enemas)
- Diabetes screening
- Flu shot, pneumonia shot, and the hepatitis B shot
- HIV screening for people at increased risk or who ask for the test
- Medical nutrition therapy to help people manage diabetes or kidney disease
- Prostate cancer screening (except digital rectal examinations)
- See the full list of preventive services at Medicare.gov
Some Important Details
- For some preventive services, you will pay nothing. You may have to pay co-insurance (a part of the cost) for the office visit when you get these services.
- Your first yearly wellness visit can’t take place within 12 months of your “Welcome to Medicare” preventive visit.
- If you’re in a Medicare Advantage Plan, check with your plan to see if these benefits will also be free for you.
For More Information
- Helen's Story: Giving Seniors Peace of Mind and More Money in Their Pockets
- Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048.
- Learn more about Medicare preventive services.
- Video Gallery: Medicare Preventive Benefits.
- HealthCare Blog: 22 Things You Need to Know.
- Fact Sheet: Seniors and the Affordable Care Act.
- Use our interactive FAQ tool to find answers to Medicare-related questions or ask your own at answers.healthcare.gov.